WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
- In seeing communities where all immigrants overcome obstacles to succeed and thrive in the United States.
- In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
- That families should be healthy, united, and safe from harm.
- That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
- That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality legal services
- Oversee Ayuda’s Immigration, Domestic Violence/Family Law, Pro-bono and Project END legal teams across Ayuda offices in DC, Maryland and Virginia
- Work with Finance Director to oversee program and grant financial management, including management of client fee-based legal services
- Represent the legal teams as a member of Ayuda’s senior leadership team
- Guide and oversee the organization’s legal team leadership
- Collaborate with Ayuda’s Social Services program to ensure the provision of holistic services
- Collaborate with Ayuda’s Development Department to ensure sustainable financial support for legal services
- Collaborate with Ayuda’s Communications staff on amplifying immigrants’ voices, experiences and needs and how Ayuda’s services meets these needs
- Represent Ayuda’s legal work with members of the media
- Represent Ayuda in the community, with partner organizations, and at stakeholder collaborations
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- J.D. or L.L.M. degree from an accredited law school
- Significant immigration legal practice experience
- Demonstrated skill supervising and mentoring attorneys, paralegals and legal assistants
- Current bar membership in good standing to practice law in any state of the United States
- Experience working with low-income immigrant populations and survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, or other survivors of trauma
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Fluent in Spanish
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, flexibility and good humor highly desirable
- Highly developed interpersonal and customer relationship management skills
- Professionalism with both internal and external customers
- Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, discrete, resources, and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to communicate with a variety of people, both internal and external
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to initiate and follow through on work independently
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Strong ethics and sound judgment
- Decisive, with ability to exercise independent judgment
- Proven ability to develop and maintain and positive team environment
- Ability to mentor, train and provide career path guidance to staff
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Commensurate with experience, plus a benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays and closures observed and paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
Ayuda is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. It is Ayuda’s policy to be fair and impartial in all relations with employees and applicants for employment and to make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, disability, sexual orientation, or any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.
Ayuda’s dedication to social justice means that all positions will be committed to working with people from diverse cultural, linguistic, economic, educational, and vocational backgrounds.
Ayuda is an eligible employer for the purposes of the DC Bar Pro Bono Program’s Loan Repayment Assistance Program.
To apply for this job please visit www.jsco.re.