Director of Program InitiativesPosted: Tuesday, May 8, 2012
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the rights of low-income immigrants in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area by providing direct legal and social services, referrals and education. Through its offices in Takoma, DC and Sterling, VA, Ayuda has amassed a 39 year history of providing critical services on a wide range of issues, acquiring in the process nationally recognized expertise in immigration law, domestic violence and human trafficking, among other fields.
Ayuda's core services include comprehensive legal and social services to foreign-born victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, child neglect and human trafficking, as well as a general immigration practice. We also operate a one-of-its-kind Community Legal Interpreter Bank.
As Ayuda marches towards its 40th anniversary, we are in the process of evaluating all our programs and developing the systems, structures, relationships and partnerships that are necessary to ensure future success. The Office of Program Initiatives will have the unique and critical responsibility of connecting our organizational and client needs with the interests and priorities of a wide range of stakeholders. The Director of Program Initiatives will work closely with our staff to identify future needs, develop creative approaches to our programs and document and report their impact. The Director reports to the Executive Director and will be part of our senior management team.
- Lead the development of research, data and information needed to make a compelling case for Ayuda’s work.
- Work with Executive Director and management staff to ensure that all program elements are consistent with Ayuda’s strategy, mission and vision.
- Coordinate with Executive Director to secure the systems and resources necessary for program operations.
- Create, direct and execute a development plan to raise $2 million dollars annually in revenues to fulfill our mission.
- Work with Executive Director to conceptualize, plan and implement a multi-year development program, including the formulation of annual goals and objectives for individuals, foundations, corporations, organizations, government constituencies and events.
- Direct and execute constituent strategies, including personal solicitation of gifts and peer-to-peer cultivation.
- Work with Board leadership to solicit gifts, establish priorities and create development policies.
- Manage future department staff and interns.
- Ensure evaluation and programmatic commitments are consistent with awarded grants and investor requirements.
- Maintain and develop appropriate and necessary local, regional and national relationships to achieve programmatic goals.
- Work with senior management reviewing program goals and budgets.
- Seize current events, trends and evolving opportunities to showcase and leverage Ayuda’s programmatic work and voice.
- Work with Executive Director and other key staff to develop a robust online program presence and metrics and creating more collaboration between our online and offline work.
- Effectively communicate the successes of funded projects with local and national partners.
- Identify and manage strategic and program partnerships in collaboration with Executive Director.
- Coordinate program evaluation with Executive Director and senior management.
- Perform any other tasks required by the Executive Director.
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must passionately believe in Ayuda’s mission of protecting the rights of low-income immigrants. Beyond that, we seek a candidate that has experience in the following:
- Program Management and Development – Proven experience managing and developing programs in ways that efficiently use the organization’s resources and staff, as well as fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Strategic Vision and Flexibility – Ability to think strategically, anticipate needs and incorporate trends, best practices, partners and other initiatives into Ayuda’s programming plans.
- Partnership Building – Familiarity with external stakeholder community and ability to identify, build and maintain strategic partnerships.
- Experience working with and engaging board members, corporate partners and other stakeholders in program work.
- Leadership – Capacity to manage and inspire others.
- Proven ability to successfully ask for and obtain funds from donor sources.
- Experience and ability to see the interconnectedness of communications, development and program efforts.
- Self-starter, proactive person that can work with minimal supervision.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and committed to feedback and improvement.
- Minimum of 4 years work experience in a nonprofit, academic or business environment.
- Demonstrable ability to perform under tight deadlines and meet financial goals.
- Prior experience representing an organization to a variety of audiences and settings.
- Able to write clearly and well.
- Ability to multi-task, handle multiple priorities and adjust quickly to emerging issues and needs.
- Team player comfortable leading on some projects and contributing on others.
- Ability to professionally represent Ayuda in communications with external audiences.
- Proven track record of event planning and management.
- Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- Significant skills preparing Powerpoint and other multi/social media presentations and materials.
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office and relational databases.
- Preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Ayuda is prepared to offer an attractive compensation package, to include a competitive base salary as well as health, dental and vacation benefits. This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a highly respected organization with a long track record providing every year high quality services to thousands of individuals.
To apply, submit a resume, a cover letter that outlines how your skills and experience meet the requirements of this position, salary requirements, a writing sample and 3 references via email to Executive Director Jaime Farrant at firstname.lastname@example.org. We anticipate that this position will begin in June 2012 and be based in our Washington, DC office. Applications will be considered until position is filled.